Annie Walker Armstrong
The legacy of Annie W. Armstrong

(b. Baltimore, Md., July 11, 1850; d. Baltimore, Md., Dec. 20, 1938) Daughter of James D. and Mary (Walker) Armstrong, Annie heard the gospel and was baptized at Seventh Baptist Church in 1869 at the age of 19.

Over the next three years, she was equipped for ministry and sent out with her pastor and 117 other members to start a new church plant in the suburbs of Baltimore City.

At Eutaw Place Baptist Church, Annie taught the infant class for at least 30 years.

A trail blazer, she led in framing the constitution of the Woman's Missionary Union (WMU). Never discouraged, "Miss Annie" wrote, spoke, and planned indefatigably. In 1888, after a conference with Henry Allen Tupper, secretary of the Foreign Mission Board, Miss Armstrong wrote by hand letters to all the societies, asking them to contribute to the first Christmas offering, which resulted in $2,833.49 for Lottie Moon in China. In 1899, while corresponding secretary of the WMU, she was out of the office for nearly two weeks due to an illness. This was her first absence in her 11 year tenure. Confronted by this challenge, "the clerk made daily visits to the home-and the work was continued." A dedicated supporter of missions, Annie refused to accept a salary, and when the WMU voted that the corresponding secretary must be paid, she resigned. During her tenure, Annie traveled great distances, including 3,300 miles in 21 days, visiting 19 places, and making 26 addresses. She wrote leaflets for the Woman's Missionary Union, and at the request of the editors, started a young people's Scripture department in Kind Words, a "Folks and Facts" column, and two departments in The Teacher. She was also a frequent contributor to the two mission publications, Foreign Mission Journal and Our Home Field. She also led the Woman's Missionary Union to enlarge its efforts in providing organizations for Negro Baptist women and children by publishing literature for them.

Will you give to Annie's church?

Baltimore City has 650,000 people and Seventh is divinely centered in the middle of them. Less than five miles in any direction takes us to every community. Artists, students, professionals, and the down and out are literally at our doorsteps. In September, 2005 after several difficult years, Seventh Baptist re-dreamed the dream of being an effective ministry in Baltimore City and beyond. Trusting God's promise that "the glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former (Haggai 2:9)", our tiny congregation committed itself to seeking and equipping the next generation of "Annies". We will change the heart of Baltimore from the inside out. 

We invite you to partner with us as we reach the lost for Christ and equip believers for ministry. This kingdom work will take a kingdom effort.

As we transform our neglected facilities into a center city campus for effective ministry, decades of deferred maintenance frustrate our efforts. The North American Mission Board, Baptist Convention of Maryland/ Delaware and the Baltimore Baptist ASsociation are helping us to tell the story through the "Center of the City" dvd (found under the "messages" link on the right).

Will you help us? Please click on the "OUR STORE" link to make a contribution.